Fall 2022 Waiting List registration is open
The Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT) is the leading independent testing and certification resource for dog training and behaviour professionals. They set the global standard for the development of rigorous exams to demonstrate mastery of humane, science-based dog training practices, and are the leading international regulatory body for the industry. Canine Foundations Training Academy provides students with the knowledge and practical experience required to qualify for the CCPDT Knowledge Assessed exam, pass their rigorous standards for knowledge and skills in science-based dog training, and achieve CPDT-KA certification. The course outline is specifically developed to cater to the demanding schedule of professionals, providing them with the ability to achieve their educational goals while maintaining their current full-time job.
Graduates will find a range of opportunities as a certified member of the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers, including employment with group, competitive and private obedience training companies, the service dog industry, board and train facilities, animal shelters/rescue organizations, veterinary clinics, daycare facilities and breeding programs, or, launching their own training company.
The classroom time for this course has been broken down into manageable intervals to accommodate the employment needs of participating professionals. This course requires a two (2) week virtual live classroom commitment for the first two weeks, then reduces classroom time to one weekend of webinars and virtual practical training classes per month, for the reminder of the program.
- Total 10 months to complete
- 2 Weeks of Virtual Classroom Learning with a live Instructor, Monday to Friday
- 10 Weekend webinars
- 8 Virtual Practical Training Classes
- 225 CCPDT Practical Hours of Experience gained
- 13 Homework Assignments (approximately 1 hour per week)
- 1 Independent Study Unit (approximately 20 hours to complete)
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- 75 Hours of experience in canine related areas such as; volunteering at an Animal Shelter, assisting or shadowing another Trainer, designing training plans or working in a veterinary clinic, grooming salon, doggy daycare or dog walking company. Please note that due to the challenges the pandemic presents, we will be accepting students who may not have their full 75 hours of field related experience. These hours can be made up during the course of the program and / or after the program has completed.
- One letter of reference from one of the following sources; Animal Rescue or Shelter Volunteer Coordinator or Shelter Manager, Obedience Trainer, Veterinarian, Employer from an animal industry related job, or, Instructor of an animal related course from a College or University. Please note that due to the challenges the pandemic presents, we will be accepting students who may not have a letter of reference. This letter can achieved during the course of the program and / or after the program has completed.
- 200 Word Application Essay on what inspired you to become a dog trainer.
Students will gain the practical hours of experience in training human handlers on how implement humane dog training techniques during virtual training practical classes and homework completion.
Laurie Glencross, CPDT-KA
I am SO very happy I joined Canine Foundation's Dog Training Academy program in October 2020, just over a year later, I am certified as a CPDT-KA (Certified Pet Dog Trainer Knowledge Assessed) and loving the work I can now do to help my clients and their beloved pets.
I have trained my own dogs for over 25 years and, when I retired from a university teaching career in 2018, I wanted to find a way to help others to understand and communicate effectively with their new pups and older canine companions and find new joy and less stress in their relationships.
This program offered me everything I needed to be fully prepared for the CCPDT certification exam including a full roster of clients for my practical requirements. Julie, Lisa and Yvonne were always available for any questions and advice I needed.
I can't thank them enough for helping to make my dog-training dreams come true. And it was a lot of fun, too!